My name is Alexei Collier. I have a dual-BA in Creative Writing and East Asian Languages and Culture from Beloit College, and I write science fiction and fantasy. My short fiction and poetry have appeared in Flash Fiction Online, Cicada, Ideomancer, and Tales to Terrify.
I grew up in southern California, in a house my family moved into on my very first Halloween. I started telling stories as soon as I could talk, and haven’t really stopped since. I now live across the street from Chicago with my wife and our cat.
Here are some other odd facts about me:
- I started a reptile club in the third grade.
- When I was nine, my brother almost fell into the Grand Canyon, but I caught him.
- I was a finalist in the Chicon 2000 Student Science Fiction & Fantasy Contest.
- I once lived under the same roof as a yakuza for five months. (It wasn’t as exciting as it sounds.)
- My grandparents were outspoken socialists during the height of the Red Scare.
- My mother spent several decades successfully convincing rich people and corporations to give millions of dollars to science education and cancer research.
- My father programmed navigation software for NASA’s Voyager missions.